My brother is going to serve his mandatory term in the army in a few months - so I thought I’d put together a “starter kit” of all the necessities I found useful during my service.
Below is a list of items included in the backpack and a brief explanation for the ones whose usage might not be immediately obvious. All items are chosen with utility and portability in mind: instead of getting on huge can of shaving foam, choose a small, but compact one.
- Mil-Tec Military Army Patrol Molle Assault Pack Tactical Combat Rucksack Backpack Bag 20L Black
- Estonian flag emblem - For the bag
- Embroidered name sign - For the bag and later, for the uniform (Velcro)
- Small black bag for hygiene products
- 2x packs of paper handkerchiefs
- Pack of storm matches
- Coarse sponge - Cleaning metal things (shovel, weapon - makes a world of difference). WD-40 goes very well with this
- 3x three-bladed razors
- Roll of sandwich bags - Storing food. Additionally, as a lining material for the cooking pot when they have a field kitchen, in case you’re in a hurry
- Pack of minigrips, different sizes - waterproofing small things
- Shaving foam
- Cotton swabs - Hygiene and weapon cleaning
- Pack of deodorant wet wipes
- Pack of hand cleaning wipes - Can be used to remove green paint from ones face
- A Spork - Easily accessible eating equipment
- Roll of black electricians tape - Infinite uses. Starting with tidying up loose-hanging backpack straps
- Shower gel
- Portable toothbrush
- Permanent black marker - Labelling things
- Small scissors
- Spare AA and AAA battery - For the MP3 player and flashlight
- Small LED flashlight - The ones they provide might be from WWII and C.R.A.P.
- Poll of black thin garbage bags, 30L - Infinite uses. Starting with use as a temporary laundry bag or waterproofing things
- 2x pack of instant potato porridge - The tastiest and quickest dry food ever invented
- 1x 9V battery + 9V to USB charger - Charge your phone using a common 9V battery (which you might even acquire for your “flashlight” through official channels)
- Chewing gum
- Deodorant (small)
- A set of small glowsticks - Marking things (and your friends) in the dark
- MP3 player with embedded radio, earphones, AAA battery - Entertainment
- Laundry net - Try finding your socks if three guys washed identical socks in one machine
Additional Things To Get
- A small bottle of WD-40 - Cleaning metal things (weapon)
- GOOD underwear and socks - Hiking quality, non-abrasive. Very important!
- A small vacuum flask (.33ML) - For hot beverages
- Thermal underwear, if desired - Winter and the sea are cold
- Lots of small sweets
- Good wristwatch
Also see: Shopping List to New Recruits.